Teaching Students Healthy Eating Habits

It's a new year and many of us resolve to change our lifestyle to improve our health whether that means losing weight, eating healthier or making sure we exercise. I try to bring those ideas to the classroom. I lost 160 lbs several years ago . For the next couple of weeks I will be sharing some tricks and tips I've done over the years to keep the weight off and have a healthier lifestyle. It isn't easy teaching culinary classes all day and being around food. Eating healthy and exercise doesn't have to be boring. It is a lifestyle commitment and I want students to know that!

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Creating a Gingerbread House

I get excited when this time of year rolls around because of the celebrations, remembering  traditions I grew up with  but most of all creating  memories with those around us.  I get excited over making Christmas cookies and candies.  I look forward to remembering that Christ's birth is the reason for the season.  I look for ways to bring joy and happiness to others.  To me it truly is the season for paying it forward and looking for ways to encourage others.
I
In my foods classes these next few weeks, we will be doing activities that hopefully will give  students some memorable experiences that they may be able to share with their own families and friends.  One of the big experiences that I introduce to my students is making Gingerbread houses.  In past years we have made them out of graham crackers, purchased kits and even made them from "scratch".  It is an activity that also enables kids to learn how to work as teams,develop problem-solving skills, be organized as well as develop their creativity. Wow, who knew learning could be so fun.
This year  my Culinary Arts students  made their own Gingerbread houses from scratch.  This week they will put "glue" them together with Royal Icing and decorate them.  The  theme is "Home Sweet Home".  They have to design a house that looks like what they live in now or hope to live in in the future.  They must work in teams AND everything other than the platform has to be edible.  Of course all houses are entered into our Gingerbread house contest and the first three houses  will receive prizes.  Each year I build my Gingerbread house so as to show them how to do it and the problems I have in constructing them.
Making The Dough 
The dough recipe I used included  the usual ingredients of molasses, ginger, cloves, nutmeg,shortening and flour.  It was easy to work with and when I would refrigerate it to use another day, all I needed to do was place it in microwave for 10-15 seconds which would warm it up just enough to make it pliable.

I rolled the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and then placed all my pattern pieces on the dough strategically so there would be very little wasted space.


I baked the gingerbread pieces in a 350 degree oven for approximately 25-35 minutes or until the pieces were firm in the middle (if you accidentally take them out and they're not quite firm just don't cover them so that they dry out and firm up.

Putting The House Together

The "glue" is royal icing.  Here I have colored the icing so that it matches the gingerbread pieces but it isn't necessary if you decide to cover the house with a different color.  Make sure you put icing on both surfaces you plan to stick together.  It will help it adhere better.  Next give the walls some type of brace until they dry.  I used cans I had in the cupboard.


Its important you don't rush and begin decorating immediately, otherwise if it isn't totally dry, it will keep trying to collapse and you will have a big mess.


And now I am putting together my barn.


The symbols represent our brand.
Here I am in the process of creating a John Deere tractor.

The Final Project
After changing the house color three times, having to prop up a collapsing roof and not baking enough pieces for the barn, it is finally done.   















What I've Learned in The Process of Making a Gingerbread House.
  • Start with a simple design.  You can find many different plans on the internet.  It is better to start with a simple design and add to it through decoration.  
  • Take it slow.  Over the years I've watched students construct the houjustse and then try to decorate it before it was dry.  Suddenly the house collapses and student wants to give up.
  • If you mess up on the color, detail or just don't like something, scrap it off or take it off!  Sand it down, re do it and it will look as if you didn't have a problem in the first place!
  • Is it realistic to make everything edible?  Of course you can!  Tree trunks can be made from waffle cones.  Arms for the snowman? Uncooked spaghetti!  
Gingerbread House Dough
Courtesy of Food.com
Ingredients
2 cups corn syrup
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/4 cups margarine
9 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat corn syrup, brown sugar and margarine until margarine has melted and sugar has dissolved completely. Stir until smooth.  Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Add syrup-sugar-margarine mixture. Mix well. Wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll out the dough 1/4-inch thick onto a sheet of parchment cut to fit your baking pan. Lightly flour the cardboard patterns and place them on the rolled-out dough, leaving a 1-inch space between pieces. Try to fit as many as you can without crowding. Remove and reserve excess dough. Reroll dough scraps for the remainder of the pieces. Grab the opposite edges of the parchment paper and transfer to the baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until pieces are firm and lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely before removing from pans.

Royal Icing
Courtesy of Alton Brown

Ingredients
6 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions
In large bowl of stand mixer combine the egg whites and vanilla and beat until frothy. Add confectioners' sugar gradually and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny. Turn speed up to high and beat until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks. This should take approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add food coloring, if desired. For immediate use, transfer icing to pastry bag or heavy duty storage bag and pipe as desired. If using storage bag, clip corner. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment