Teaching Students Healthy Eating Habits

It's a new year and many of us resolve to change our lifestyle to improve our health whether that means losing weight, eating healthier or making sure we exercise. I try to bring those ideas to the classroom. I lost 160 lbs several years ago . For the next couple of weeks I will be sharing some tricks and tips I've done over the years to keep the weight off and have a healthier lifestyle. It isn't easy teaching culinary classes all day and being around food. Eating healthy and exercise doesn't have to be boring. It is a lifestyle commitment and I want students to know that!

Monday, December 15, 2014

Baking Some Christmas Cookies!

One of the best things about the holidays is the baking.  During the holiday season, there is nothing better than for me to spend the day baking.  I love to have classic Christmas songs playing, spending time with my dogs and trying new baking recipes.
That's how I relax... Really!
 This weekend I decided to try out some new recipes and revisit one I use every year.  I plan to share them with my students this week so maybe they can try them out during the holidays.
As I was looking at recipes, I thought about the cookie tray I wanted to prepare. It had to look good with different varieties as well as colors.  I looked and asked for recommendations (especially from my daughter who loves to bake, Danielle!). This week I want to share the recipes I made and what I liked about each of them!  Just click on the cookie and it will take you to the recipe. Enjoy!

1.  Italian Christmas Swirl Cookies



What attracted me to the Italian Swirl cookie was its color.  The cookie screams "Christmas".  Easy to make, it is a basic sugar-type cookie dough that is divided into two pieces, one is colored and then each piece is rolled into identical rectangle shapes. Refrigerated and then both pieces are stacked together and then rolled as if it was a cinnamon roll.  Jimmies are sprinkled on the counter and the cylinder-shaped cookie is rolled over them until they cover the entire cookie.  Quarter-inch  slices of the dough are cut and then baked.  We liked this cookie (we meaning both my husband Eric and me. This was his favorite tasting cookie!).  Not only did it taste good but looks great on a cookie tray!

2. Scottish Shortbread



I have tried all kinds of shortbread and have always been disappointed- either it doesn't taste very good or doesn't hold shape.  Finally I found THE best recipe.  The difference between all the other shortbread recipes and this one?  Brown sugar instead of white!

3. Salted Caramel Thumbprint


This cookie is amazing!  The chocolate cookie surrounded by pecans (or to reduce the price, crush up pretzels and roll them in instead!) and filled with caramel.  Delicious!


The Cranberry Bliss cookie was my favorite cookie.  I loved the sourness of the dried cranberries mixed with the sweetness of the white chocolate chips.  This cookie will melt in your mouth!

5.  Christmas Dream Drops


This meringue cookie is my go to cookie every year for cookie trays.  I discovered it one year as I read my Sunset magazine and noticed it had one first place in a cookie contest.  It's festive-like appearance enticed me to try it and ever since then I've been making it every year.  Its crisp outside with a soft, marshmallow-like center filled with white chocolate chips and crushed peppermint candies offer a flavor like no other cookie.

6.  Red Velvet Crinkles



What an easy cookie to make!  It uses a simple red velvet cake mix and a couple of other ingredients!  Just scoop it, roll it and dredge in powdered sugar and there you have a cookie that will remind you of Red Velvet cake!

There you go!  Try these six cookies and you will have a beautiful cookie tray that will imress  all of your friends.  Bon Appetit!




No comments:

Post a Comment