Teaching Students Healthy Eating Habits

It's a new year and many of us resolve to change our lifestyle to improve our health whether that means losing weight, eating healthier or making sure we exercise. I try to bring those ideas to the classroom. I lost 160 lbs several years ago . For the next couple of weeks I will be sharing some tricks and tips I've done over the years to keep the weight off and have a healthier lifestyle. It isn't easy teaching culinary classes all day and being around food. Eating healthy and exercise doesn't have to be boring. It is a lifestyle commitment and I want students to know that!

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Wow, 2015 is almost here!   I can't believe it!  I remember when I was a young girl thinking about how old I would be when we reached 2000.  Now that it is almost 2015 and I am 56 years old....how  time flies when you're having fun!  These past couple of weeks I've enjoyed trying new dishes and experimenting with different recipes in anticipation of the new year.  Next week's blog I plan to introduce some new soups and salads that taste good and can be healthy for you.  In the meantime, today's recipe is a  tasty one my daughter Jenny and I found and decided to try in anticipation of New Year's Eve.
Ok......I'll be honest.....nothing about it shouts healthy, BUT it does taste good and it is the last day of 2014....let's live on the dangerous side and enjoy...ok?
Jenny and I were looking at the internet and all of a sudden this bread oozing with cheese jumped out at us.
"YUM,  WE GOT TO TRY THIS!"


Stuffed Cheese Bread
I used a sourdough baguette because I love them!  Cut into bread at an angle almost all the way through but leave the bottom intact.
Notice that you can see the cubes!

Melt the butter and mix in your olive oil and all the herbs and seasonings and drizzle it between all the cubes

Next, place the grated cheese between the cut layers.  Stuff the cheese into each layer the best that you can!

Wrap bread in foil and place in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted.

Unwrap and Enjoy!

Don't worry about the Calories....You can start counting them next year....2015!

STUFFED ITALIAN BREAD
recipe adapted from Monster Mama

Ingredients
1 Italian loaf, about 12 inches long
1 stick butter, melted
1/8 cup olive oil
3 tsp minced onion
2-3 cloves garlic, grated
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp poppy seeds
3 tsp chopped parsley
12 oz grated cheese  (I used Colby jack and Pepperjack)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Mix the melted butter, olive oil, onion, garlic, dijon mustard, poppy seeds and parsley in a bowl.  Cut the bread into cubes with X slices without cutting all the way through the bottom crust. Pour the butter-onion garlic mixture carefully into those X cracks using a small spoon and over the top of the bread. Fill those delicious cracks with the grated cheese.Wrap the entire loaf with foil, sealing the sides properly and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and unwrap. Bake for another 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and gooey.

No comments:

Post a Comment